Upcoming Conferences and Events
- Fall 2013 IGL Open House will be on Reading Day, Dec. 12, 2013, from 1-5 pm in 239 Altgeld Hall. Each team will display their posters and show off their work from the semester.
- 1st Annual Mathematics Corporate Forum, Dec 12, 2013, 11 a.m., 245 Altgeld Hall
- Illinois Math Reception at Joint Math Meetings, January 17, 2014
- 2014 Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM) State Math Contest Finals, May 3, 2014
- Number Theory at Illinois: A Conference in Honor of the Batemans, June 5 - 7, 2014
- Poisson 2014, Summer School July 28 - August 1, 2014; Conference August 4-8, 2014
In the News
Alexander and D'Angelo named 2014 AMS Fellows
Professor Emerita Stephanie Alexander and Professor John D'Angelo have been selected to the 2014 class of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society. Alexander and D'Angelo are two of only fifty mathematical scientists selected for this honor this year. To see the names of individuals who are in this year's class, their institutions and citations, visit http://www.ams.org/profession/ams-fellows.
Five math department achievements were recognized on the U of I LAS "Gallery of Excellence" in celebration of the College's 100th' anniversary. The math department honorees include the Four Color Theorem and four outstanding scholars, David Blackwell, Joseph Doob, Freeman Hrabowski, and Michio Suzuki. See LAS Gallery of Excellence for more information.
Kedem, Rezk and Solecki to give invited lectures at ICM
Professors Rinat Kedem, Charles Rezk, and Slawek Solecki have been invited to give lectures at the 2014 International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) in Seoul, Korea. Kedem will present her lecture in the Mathematical Physics section, Rezk will present his lecture in the Topology section, and Solecki will present in the Logic and Foundations section. Held once every four years, the ICM is the largest international gathering in mathematics, and invites a select group of mathematicians to report on the most important development in the last four years. Invited lectures at the ICM are among the most prestigious recognitions of research accomplishment in mathematics.
Read more news about the Department of Mathematics in the Math Times.
All new freshmen coming to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. All new transfer students who do not already have credit for Calculus I (or a higher level math course) are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. Information about the ALEKS Math Placement Exam is available on the Department of Mathematics website.