Upcoming Conferences and Events
- Memorial Service in memory of Heini Halberstam, 4-6 p.m. Tuesday, April 29, 2014. Presentations (314 Altgeld) will be followed by a reception (239 Altgeld).
- 2014 Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM) State Math Contest Finals, May 3, 2014
- Department Convocation Ceremony, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 8:30 p.m., Foellinger Great Hall, Krannert
- Algebra, Geometry and Combinatorics Day (ALGECOM 10),
May 24, 2014
- Midwest Number Theory Conference for Graduate Students and Recent PhDs, June 3 - 4, 2014
- Number Theory at Illinois: A Conference in Memory of the Batemans and Heini Halberstam, June 5 - 7, 2014
- Macaulay2 Meeting and School, June 16-20, 2014
- Poisson 2014, Summer School July 28 - August 1, 2014; Conference August 4-8, 2014
In the News
Deville receives Campus Distinguished Promotion Award
Professor Lee DeVille has been awarded a 2013 Campus Distinguished Promotion Award by the Office of the Provost at the University of Illinois for his especially meritorious tenure case. Only three tenure cases are selected across campus each year. Deville received this special recognition based on the scope, quality and impact of his scholarship, teaching, service and engagement efforts.
Heini Halberstam, 1926-2014
Heini Halberstam, a Professor Emeritus in the department and a past department head, passed away on January 25, 2014. Read more about Professor Halberstam.
Alexander and D'Angelo named 2014 AMS Fellows
Professor Emerita Stephanie Alexander and Professor John D'Angelo have been selected to the 2014 class of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society. Alexander and D'Angelo are two of only fifty mathematical scientists selected for this honor this year. To see the names of individuals who are in this year's class, their institutions and citations, visit http://www.ams.org/profession/ams-fellows.
Five math department achievements were recognized on the U of I LAS "Gallery of Excellence" in celebration of the College's 100th' anniversary. The math department honorees include the Four Color Theorem and four outstanding scholars, David Blackwell, Joseph Doob, Freeman Hrabowski, and Michio Suzuki. See LAS Gallery of Excellence for more information.
Read more news about the Department of Mathematics in the Math Times.
All new freshmen coming to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. All new transfer students who do not already have credit for Calculus I (or a higher level math course) are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam. Information about the ALEKS Math Placement Exam is available on the Department of Mathematics website.