Undergraduate Honors, Awards, Prizes and Competitions
There are a variety of department- and university-wide honors, awards, prizes, and competitions available for mathematics undergraduate students.
The Robert Noyce Scholarship Program, funded by the National Science Foundation, encourages talented students in STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering and math) to become K-12 science and math teachers. On this campus Noyce Scholarships provide funds for undergraduate math majors with a secondary education minor and post-baccalaureate students holding a STEM degree to earn a teaching credential in return for a commitment to teach mathematics in a high-need school district. Noyce Scholarships require two years of teaching for each year of financial support.
Department Prizes and Awards
The Department of Mathematics recognizes outstanding undergraduate students by awarding prizes annually for exceptional work. Department awards are presented at the department's annual awards ceremony each spring.
- The H. Roy Brahana Prize
- The Salma Wanna Memorial Award
- Elsie Thomas Fraser Award
- The Prizes in the Majors
The Department of Mathematics awards scholarships to enable and encourage undergraduate mathematics students to pursue a superb education at Illinois.
- Bradley M. and Karen A. Smith Scholarship
- Emily Mann Peck Scholarship
- Elizabeth R. Bennett Scholarship in Mathematics
- Dr. Lois M. Lackner Mathematics Scholarship
- Gail V. Kellogg Scholarship
- Illinois Mathematics Excellence Scholarship
- Ruth V. Shaff and Genevie I. Andrews Mathematics Scholarship
- Susan C. Morisato Mathematics Scholarship
- Vincent O. Greene Scholarship
The U of I Department of Mathematics has an extensive program of mathematics competitions that includes three local math contests (U of I Undergraduate Math Contest, U of I Freshman Math Contest, and U of I Mock Putnam Exam), participation in the nationwide William Lowell Putnam Competition, and Putnam training sessions.
Pi Mu Epsilon is a national honor society for the field of mathematics.
Campus and College Honors and Awards
- Campus and College Honors at the University of Illinois
- Honors Credit Learning Agreement
The Honors Credit Learning Agreement is used for James Scholars and others to get Honors Credit for a regular course. This agreement must be made with the person teaching the course and is subject to departmental approval. Complete the application form. For more information go to the Department of Mathematics Undergraduate Office in 313 Altgeld Hall.
- Bronze Tablet Recipients in Mathematics