Algebraic Geometry in simplest terms is the study of polynomial equations and the geometry of their solutions. It is an old subject with a rich classical history, while the modern theory is is built on a more technical but rich and beautiful foundation. The future looks very bright indeed with promising new directions for research being undertaken, many of which connect algebraic geometry to other areas of mathematics as well as to physics.
The document Graduate Studies in Algebraic Geometry outlines the general areas of Algebraic Geometry studied here and describes the advanced undergraduate and graduate courses that are under development or offered regularly.
Faculty Members in Algebraic Geometry
- Steven Bradlow. Differential geometry, gauge theory, holomorphic vector bundles, moduli spaces.
- Iwan Duursma. Number theory, Arithmetic geometry, Coding Theory and Cryptography.
- William J. Haboush. Algebraic groups and homogeneous spaces.
- Sheldon Katz. Algebraic geometry, string theory.
- Tom Nevins. Algebraic geometry, noncommutative algebra, integrable systems
- Hal Schenck. Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry
Postdocs in Algebraic Geometry
Faculty Members in Related Areas
- Matthew Ando. Algebraic Topology.
- John D'Angelo. Several complex variables and complex geometry.
- Maarten Bergvelt. Representation theory of infinite dimensional Lie algebras, algebraic geometry, super geometry.
- Sankar Dutta. Commutative algebra.
- Rinat Kedem. Mathematical physics, representation theory of infinite dimensional Lie algebras, quantum groups, and vertex algebras, integrable models statistical mechanics and quantum field theory.
- Rob Leigh (Department of Physics). String theory, non-commutative geometry.
- Bruce Reznick. Combinatorial methods in algebra, analysis, number theory, combinatorics, geometry.
- Alexander Yong, Combinatorial aspects of algebra and geometry; algebraic combinatorics
Graduate Students in Algebraic Geometry
Recent Algebraic Geometry Alumni
- Shivi Bansal (2008)
- Jinwon Choi (2012)
- Yong Fu (2010)
- Mehmet Sahin (2009)
- Alexandra Seceleanu (2011)
- Artan Sheshmani (2011)
- Jinhyung To (2012)